At a distance of only 15 km from Taranto, Carosino is located in the heart of the western part of the Murge tarantine, in a valley between the municipalities of San Giorgio Ionico, Monteparano, Monteiasi and Grottaglie. It owes its name to Caro Seno, which means “village dear to the Madonna”. During the age of Magna Graecia, it was that an important trading site along the Taranto-Greece axis. Then it declined during the Gothic-Greek war and its inhabitants were scattered all around the territory in hamlets and house-caves; agriculture and pasture were the only productive activities left. In the XV century, Carosino was occupied and destroyed by Skanderbeg’s Albanian armies. The hamlet remained unproductive for almost half a century, a feud of moble local families.
In 1806, when feudalism was abolished in the Reign of Naples, the Duchy of Carosino was controlled by the Berio-Marulli family and it eventually became a Commune (by plebiscite) of the Reign of Italy.
Today, the area includes many masserie (farms), in mostly obtained in old country houses or from the remains of ancient settlements.
By the editorial staff
Project created in collaboration with InnovaPuglia.